As a Technical Software Project Manager at Cogent Labs, you will be responsible for the execution of software projects within the Project Management Office (PMO). This is a cross-functional role and you will work frequently with product management, quality assurance, engineering, research, and sales. Your ability to execute projects on-time with quality and communicate with stakeholders on all aspects of the project will be a critical measure of your success.
- Serve as a central communication link and source of information for the project.
- Execute on all elements of a project, including defining & documenting project scope, technical requirements, resource needs, constraints, scheduling, project kick-off, project execution & monitoring, and completion; each phase must be properly managed and supported by you and others from the early days of the project to the end of the project.
- Identify internal and external risks, estimate impact / probability, and develop strategies with stakeholders to contain risks and dealing with the most probable/high impact scenarios.
- Develop architecture and schedules with technical leads, architects, and engineers early in the product development & requirement phases.
- Manage and drive the process from product requirements to software architecture to work breakdown structure, scheduling, execution, and delivery.
- Attend sprint planning meetings to prioritize and schedule tasks and host retrospectives as necessary across several scrum teams.
- Address architectural issues in product development infrastructure and host cross-functional meetings to develop plans of action to fix or reduce the impact of infrastructure issues (i.e. build systems, cloud platforms, development processes).
- Clearly define and understand roles and responsibilities for all stakeholders, project team members, business owners, and external/internal customers for the project.
- Analyze several sources of information from sales, product management, and engineering to collect insight to manage project risks and execution.
- Help define and guide the technical success by working closely with product management, engineering, and research and acting quickly and correctly when issues arise
- Follow accepted project management methodologies defined by the PMO as well as propose suggestions for improvement within the PMO.
Essential skills & qualifications
- Bachelors in a technical field, such as in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Software Engineering, Systems Engineering, or another similar field.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience with a track record of success in delivering complex software projects in a key technical role (lead, architect, engineer, project manager).
- Possess formal program/project management knowledge on project kick-off, estimation, gantt charts, tools (JIRA, Git, Confluence, and etc.) & methodologies (Scrum, Kanban, Waterfall, Agile, etc.), monitoring & control, change management, and similar project management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines by re-scoping, re-prioritization to meet and exceed expectations.
- Be a bridge between non-technical and technical staff, explaining both business and technical issues clearly to both sides.
- Demonstrable experience for achieving excellence, either in customer satisfaction or towards project expectations, in both process and product quality and reliability
- Strong interest in AI / Machine Learning.
- Strong leadership skills with a positive attitude.
- Detail-oriented with respect to documentation and technical details.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
Good to have / optional skills and qualifications
- Masters degree in a technical field.
- Native Japanese or JLPT N1 or JLPT N2.
- PMP, PRINCE2, or similar certification.
- Experience in managing and collaborating with distributed team members.
- Domain experience in OCR, RPA, CMS, big data, and/or time series forecasting.
Cogent Labs is continuously working towards developing a culture towards improving and rewarding the following qualities:
- Team effort: A cohesive team can be more effective than an isolated prodigy. Team members are expected to work well in groups and look for opportunities to empower their colleagues.
- Responsibility: Take responsibility for your own tasks and hold others responsible for theirs.
- Self-improvement: Create an environment where team members can focus on their tasks and self-improvement without excessive outside disturbances.
- Taking Risks: Team members should have some freedom in experimenting with new ideas and technologies, as this ultimately could translate into building better products or the creation of valuable new IP.
- Quality: Maintaining a mindset of developing high quality projects and a reflection of our brand.