Cogent labs is looking for an experienced (10+ years) engineering lead to help create innovative and creative services based on AI. Successful candidates will join a highly skilled and growing team, and should be able to help specify, develop, test, and deploy high-quality backend solutions for Cogent’s customers. Some management experience is also required as this position would operate as the head of the engineering team.
- Growing the engineering department by continually evaluating the expertise of the current team against what is needed to meet company’s strategic goals
- Driving technical projects and providing leadership in an innovative and fast-paced environment
- Serving as a technical expert with a deep understanding of the systems and technologies developed by the company
- Working closely with product management, other R&D teams, and executives to form feature ideas and research into specific requirements and technical designs, and identifying opportunities for new projects and improved processes
- Proposing and overseeing budgets and timelines for engineering projects
- Developing strategic plans and roadmaps based on budget and business drivers
- Communicating technical architecture and constraints to other teams and stakeholders
- Mentoring, career path support, performance review for team members, as well as creating engineering-friendly team processes
Essential skills and qualifications
- 10+ years of industry experience in engineering with at least 3 years focusing on SaaS solutions
- 3+ years of leadership experience as a technical lead, team lead, or software architect in a team of 5 or more engineers
- Experience designing large scale systems with strict requirements for availability, scalability, security
- Hands-on experience with automated testing, continuous integration and automated deployments
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a similar discipline
- Systematic and creative problem-solving skills
- Verbal and written communication skills in English
Optional skills and qualifications
- Verbal and written communication skills in Japanese
- MS or PhD in Computer Science or a similar discipline
- Experience working on products involving big data and AI
The Cogent Labs engineering department is continuously working towards developing a culture improving and rewarding the following qualities:
- Team effort: A cohesive team can be more effective than an isolated prodigy. Engineers are expected to work well in groups and look for opportunities to empower their colleagues.
- Responsibility: Take responsibility for your own tasks and hold others responsible for theirs.
- Self-improvement: Create an environment where engineers can focus on their engineering tasks and self-improvement without excessive outside disturbances.
- Experimentation: Engineers should have some freedom in experimenting with new ideas and technologies, as this ultimately could translate into building better products or the creation of valuable new IP.
- Quality: Maintaining a mindset of developing high quality features and code.